Skip to main content

Self Portrait Photography

Hey All, 

My name is Yoothika and I am a portrait and fashion photographer, however, I have done photography in almost all aspect, except travel as I have not received any chance of travelling. However, my favourite forms of photography are the portraits and fashion photography. I love these two forms because I can really play with model moving around with different props and facial expressions, their body movements. For me, these two are the one the creative photography with lightings and makeup as well.
This blog is all about self portrait photography which will be the pictures I take of myself. I have always been a fan of taking selfies with phone from a very long time and hence, I thought that as I know how to operate a DSLR, why don’t I try to do my self photoshoots and hence the journey began with the thought. 

The thought of starting my own self portrait shoot started as I was a new photographer in the photography field and because of no experience with any institute, no proper portfolio/profile to show to someone and no experience, it was not easy to get models or to convince someone to do a photoshoot assignment with me. Hence, I planned to be the model for my own camera. Well, I started it as learning process initially but with time, I started to enjoy my own company with the camera. I do not have any assistants to help me when I go do self portraits. It will be all me alone with the idea of what I should do and how to do. 

In the initial days, I just had my DSLR which was Canon 1300D and the kit lens 18-55mm and 55-250mm. I did not have any external lightings or not even a flash/speedlite. With time, I purchased a 50mm lens, another camera which is Canon 80D (which I still work with), one flash light, one speed light and Godox light setup. 

I had taken my pictures only with the camera and also using all the equipments. It’s a 5 years journey and I am just in love with the fact that I am in this place now with so much betterment in me, however, still to learn more each day. I also edit my own clicked pictures using Adobe Photoshop software. 

Taking pictures of myself has inspired me in a lot of ways. It gave me the confidence of trying the light setups in different ways, types of posing, improvement of facial expressions, styling of clothes and required props and etc. Hence, it also helped me to guide the other models while I do their photoshoot. I do so much of experiments with the lights while shooting and low key has always been my favourite. I always like low key pictures which more on the dark side and hence, one light photography is my favourite one. 

As it always said that when we start to love ourselves, everything around seems to be better and I guess, that's what happened with me. 
I always suggest to my friends as well who has started in the portrait field that they should also try to do a photoshoot session with themselves, so that it will help them in learning the whole process. 
Self portraits has never been an easy session to do, as I have to set everything up by myself which includes, costumes, lightings, posing and other factors as well. 

I am really hoping for you guys to like this blog and inspire you in some way if you are also struggling in learning self-portraits. 

You can check out my website for more: https://ybaruah04.wixsite.com/delenaphotography/self-portraits 

You can also follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoothika/



Comments

  1. Inspiring journey and a wonderfully written blog. I checked out your self-portraits, they are exceptional and really stand out. Keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Definition of Photography

  On a daily life basis, we surely meet someone to whom we explain what we really mean by photography. I believe, each one of us in this world has a different definition to the term "Photography".  For some kids, photography is just a medium where they can see themselves and just be happy for no reason. They do not ask you to share the pictures with them but they just enjoy being a part of your memory. And then, there are kids who are into fashion and media world, and for them photography is completely a different term. For them, it is a way of showing their talent to the world as they are taught. They pose for the pictures more than enjoying the real childish moments. Then, we have our parents. Parents who does not really belong to any high class family, do not really think photography as a perspective of a good career. For them, photography means the passport size pictures which we usually take in the small studios to fill up our forms. I can say this because I have faced t...